Dear Friends and Families,
The recent presidential election stunned us all. Many of us are experiencing feelings of shock, sadness, disbelief, anxiety, and fear. Now, more than ever, it is time for us to reach out to others who support us and love us. For others who do not share our beliefs, we need to find understanding, peaceful solutions, and unity. It is also critically important to love ourselves and believe in our own self-worth.
Martin Luther King, Jr. has always been one of our favorite leaders and civil rights activists. He fought for peace and equality for all citizens and made a tremendous difference in the lives of so many. He changed our country and helped to make our nation one that respected everyone, regardless of skin color or ethnicity.
Given our nation’s recent political events and unsettled climate, some of Reverend King’s words and quotes we’ve included below seem particularly relevant. We hope that you find his words of wisdom helpful and inspiring. Remember, too, that we are here for you: We want to listen to you and support you. Just call or email us. We are always here for you!
Sending you hope, our love and hugs, and wishes for a bright and promising tomorrow!
Susan Maasch and Susan Trostle Brand
Trans Youth Equality Foundation
1. Focus on the light in the midst of the darkness: Replace hate with love.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
2. Love is stronger than hate. Even when others do not agree with you, try to find common ground and understand them.
“I have decided to stick with love...hate is too great a burden to bear.”
3. Never give up. Stand up for what is right and good in yourself and in the world.
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
4. Keep moving forward and upward. Do not let obstacles keep you from reaching your goals.
“If you can’t fly, then run. If you can’t run, then walk. If you can’t walk, then crawl, but whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward.”
5. Look for the rainbow at the end of the storm and the “silver lining” in the clouds. Focus on what is good and promising in life.
“Only in the darkness can you see the stars.”
6. True happiness and fulfillment are achieved by service to others.
“Everybody can be great...because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.”
7. Never lose hope!
“We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.”
8. Believe in yourself and your dreams. You have a bright future ahead! Live each day, and make your dreams come true.
“No person has the right to rain on your dreams.”